Jack bean (Canavalia ensiformis), Indonesian local bean, has a high content of protein and great potential either for substituting or overcoming the shortage of imported soybean in tofu production. However, an appropriate coagulant in a proper amount is needed to make tofu with acceptable characteristics. This study set out to investigate the appropriate type and concentration of coagulant. The experiment was carried out by using GDL (glucono delta lactone) and nigari as coagulants with concentration levels of 0.25; 0.5; 0.75 and 1%. Some quality parameters such as yield, color, texture (hardness, cohesiveness, chewiness, springiness), and microscopic structure of tofu were observed. Consumer preference tests on aroma, color, taste, texture, and overall acceptability were directed to determine tofu with the best characteristics. The result showed nigari at concentration level 0.75% delivered the most preferred tofu for consumers.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
- AOAC. (2000). Official Methods of Analysis of AOAC International. AOAC International, 14 Gaitherburg.
- BPS. (2020). Accested on August 30th 2021. Retrieved from https://sukabumikota.bps.go.id/indicator/5/191/1/rata-rata-konsumsi-per-kapita-seminggu-menurut-jenis-komoditi-makanan-kelompok-kacang-kacangan.html
- Chavan, S. M., Verma, R. C., & teja, R. (2017). Textural and Sensory Characteristics of Freeze Dried Tofu. International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences, 6(12), 119–128. https://doi.org/10.20546/ijcmas.2017.612.016
- Guo, Y., Hu, H., Wang, Q., & Liu, H. (2018). A novel process for peanut tofu gel: Its texture, microstructure and protein behavioral changes affected by processing conditions. Lwt, 96(February), 140–146. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2018.05.020
- Jayasena, V., Tah, W. Y., & Nasar-Abbas, S. M. (2014). Effect of coagulant type and concentration on the yield and quality of soy-lupin tofu. Quality Assurance and Safety of Crops and Foods, 6(2), 159–166. https://doi.org/10.3920/QAS2012.0176
- Kim, D. H., Yang, W. T., Cho, K. M., & Lee, J. H. (2020). Comparative analysis of isoflavone aglycones using microwave-assisted acid hydrolysis from soybean organs at different growth times and screening for their digestive enzyme inhibition and antioxidant properties. Food Chemistry, 305, 125462. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2019.125462
- Kwak, E. J., & Lim, S. I. (2004). The effect of sugar, amino acid, metal ion, and NaCl on model Maillard reaction under pH control. Amino Acids, 27(1), 85–90. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00726-004-0067-7
- Li, J., Qiao, Z., Tatsumi, E., Saito, M., Cheng, Y., & Yin, L. (2013). A Novel Approach to Improving the Quality of Bittern-Solidified Tofu by W/O Controlled-Release Coagulant. 1: Preparation of W/O Bittern Coagulant and Its Controlled-Release Property. Food and Bioprocess Technology, 6(7), 1790–1800. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11947-012-0896-4
- Maneepun, S. (2003). Traditional processing and utilization of legumes. In Processing and Utilization of Legumes. Retrived from www.apo-tokyo.org
- Obatolu, V. A. (2008). Effect of different coagulants on yield and quality of tofu from soymilk. European Food Research and Technology, 226(3), 467–472. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00217-006-0558-8
- Oboh, G. (2007). Coagulant modulates the hypocholesterolemic effect of tofu (coagulated soymilk). Journal of Medicinal Food, 10(2), 388–391. https://doi.org/10.1089/jmf.2006.208
- Rekha, C. R., & Vijayalakshmi, G. (2013). Influence of processing parameters on the quality of soycurd (tofu). Journal of Food Science and Technology, 50(1), 176–180. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13197-011-0245-z
- Riniarsi, D. (2016). Outlook Komoditas Pertanian Tanaman Pangan Kedelai. (L. Nuryati, B. Waryanto, & R. Widaningsih (eds.)). Pusat Data dan Sistem Informasi Pertanian Kementerian Pertanian.
- Shen, C. F., De Man, L., Buzzel, R. I., & Man, J. M. D. (1991). Yield and Quality of Tofu as Affected by Soybean and Soymilk Characteristics: Glucono‐delta‐lactone Coagulant. Journal of Food Science, 56(1), 109–112. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1991.tb07987.x
- Shi, Y. guo, Yang, Y., Piekoszewski, W., Zeng, J. hua, Guan, H. nan, Wang, B., Liu, L. lin, Zhu, X. qing, Chen, F. lian, & Zhang, N. (2020). Influence of four different coagulants on the physicochemical properties, textural characteristics and flavour of tofu. International Journal of Food Science and Technology, 55(3), 1218–1229. https://doi.org/10.1111/ijfs.14357
- Solomon, S. G., Okomoda, V. T., & Oguche, O. (2018). Nutritional value of raw Canavalia ensiformis and its utilization as partial replacement for soybean meal in the diet of Clarias gariepinus (Burchell, 1822) fingerlings. Food Science and Nutrition, 6(1), 207–213. https://doi.org/10.1002/fsn3.548
- Sridhar, K. R., & Seena, S. (2006). Nutritional and antinutritional significance of four unconventional legumes of the genus Canavalia - A comparative study. Food Chemistry, 99(2), 267–288. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2005.07.049
- Wang, C., Li, J., Zhou, S., Zhou, J., Lan, Q., Qin, W., Wu, D., Liu, J., Yang, W., & Zhang, Q. (2019). Application of transglutaminase for quality improvement of whole soybean curd. Journal of Food Science and Technology, 56(1), 233–244. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13197-018-3480-8
- Zhang, Q., Wang, C., Li, B., Li, L., Lin, D., Chen, H., Liu, Y., Li, S., Qin, W., Liu, J., Liu, W., & Yang, W. (2018). Research progress in tofu processing: From raw materials to processing conditions. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, 58(9), 1448–1467. https://doi.org/10.1080/10408398.2016.1263823
- Zheng, L., Regenstein, J. M., Teng, F., & Li, Y. (2020). Tofu products: A review of their raw materials, processing conditions, and packaging. Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety, 19(6), 3683–3714. https://doi.org/10.1111/1541-4337.12640